Loaded with vitamins and fiber, this tender roasted chicken with squash and potatoes will melt in your mouth. Perfect for a cool, fall evening!
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
1 teaspoon salt, divided
3⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1⁄2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage (or other spices on hand)
3 1⁄2 pounds roasting chicken
12 ounces red potatoes, cut into wedges
1 1⁄2 cups (about 8 ounces) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and sage in a small bowl.
- Remove and discard the giblets and neck from the chicken. Starting at the neck cavity, loosen the skin from the breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing between the skin and meat. Lift wing tips up and over the back; tuck under the chicken. Rub garlic mixture under the loosened skin.
- Place the chicken, breast side up, on the rack of a broiler pan, coated with cooking spray. Place the rack in the broiler pan.
- Combine potatoes, squash and butter with the remaining garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange vegetable mixture around the chicken. Bake for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh registers 165 degrees F. Let stand for 10 minutes. Discard the skin.