This hearty soup is a meal in itself (and it’s a great way to sneak in vegetables at dinner)! Make it tonight and enjoy it all week.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 carrots, diced
4 celery stalks, diced
4 potatoes (gold or another variety that won't disintegrate into the soup), diced
Salt and pepper (to taste)
15-ounce can kidney beans
15-ounce can cannellini beans
15 ounces diced tomatoes
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 1⁄2 cups cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen
Parmesan or mozzarella (for garnish)
- Coat the bottom of a Dutch oven or large soup pot with olive oil and heat on medium high.
- Cook the onion and garlic until translucent and starting to brown around the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, celery and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and chicken stock and cover. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Add the cheese tortellini and cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the tortellini is cooked through. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Top each serving with parmesan or mozzarella cheese, as you like. Serve with crusty bread.
- Keep in mind, this makes a lot of soup — it came within an inch of the top of my 5 1/2-quart Dutch oven.