Chances are you’ve had blueberry or chocolate chip pancakes. Ever tried vegetable pancakes? Enjoy a healthy take on this breakfast staple.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
1 1⁄2 pounds vegetables, grated (peeled first, if necessary)
1⁄2 small onion, grated
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1⁄4 cup flour, more or less
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil, vegetable oil or butter for greasing the pan
- Heat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Grate the vegetables by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor. Wrap the grated vegetables in paper towels or a clean dish towel and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Mix together the vegetables, onion, egg and flour. (Add a little more flour if the mixture isn’t holding together.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put a little butter or oil in a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, drop in the batter by spoonfuls, using a fork to spread the vegetables into an even layer; press down a bit. Cook, turning once, until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer finished pancakes to the oven until all are done. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- To prevent overcrowding, work in batches.