When it’s cold out, warm up with a bowl of chili! This healthy slow cooker chili is sure to awaken your taste buds without adding to your waistline.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes
1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound lean ground beef, turkey or chicken (at least 90% lean)
1 red or yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
Two 15-ounce cans kidney, pinto, great northern or black beans, rinsed and drained (with no added salt)
One 15-ounce can tomato sauce (with no added salt)
Two 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes (with no added salt)
One 4-ounce can chopped green chiles (mild, medium or hot, depending on taste)
1 1⁄2 cups beef, chicken or vegetable broth/stock (low or reduced sodium)
1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add ground meat, onion, pepper and garlic. Cook until meat is completely browed, crumbling the meat with a spatula or spoon as it cooks.
- Drain excess fat; then transfer to a slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Add more seasoning if needed.
- Optional: Add healthy toppings, like green onions or plain Greek yogurt (tastes like sour cream)!
- Feel free to substitute — add more or less of any ingredient in this recipe. It’s just a guide, but it doesn’t need to be followed exactly.