Craving Mexican food? Swap out the meat for marinated portobello mushrooms and make these savory and healthy vegetarian fajitas.
1⁄4 cup lime juice
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 portobello mushrooms (whole caps)
1 green pepper
Red onions (1 large or 2 small)
Salt and black pepper (to taste)
1 avocado (thinly sliced)
Queso fresco (to taste); may substitute cheddar or another cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, salt, red pepper, cumin, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Pour into a resealable plastic bag large enough to hold the mushroom caps.
- Wipe the mushroom caps clean and remove the stems. Slice the mushrooms into quarter-inch slices and add to the plastic bag. Shake the bag to coat the mushrooms.
- While the mushrooms are marinating, slice the green pepper and onions into quarter-inch slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add in the green pepper and onions and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm. Place the skillet back on the heat and add the remaining oil. Place the mushrooms in the pan and cook until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Build your tortillas with mushrooms, green peppers, onions and avocado, and top with cheese.