This dish is so delicious, you won’t even miss the carbs. Try this healthy take on artichoke lemon pesto chicken pasta.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
1 large spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise
4 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
12 artichoke hearts, cut in half (can use artichokes from a jar)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1⁄3 cup walnuts
4 tablespoons vegetable broth
1⁄2 cup fresh parsley (or Italian seasoning)
1⁄2 cup fresh basil (or Italian seasoning)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
3 cups spinach (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the squash in half lengthwise; place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes (or until the squash gives when you poke the outside of it).
- While the squash is baking, start the pesto and chicken: Place a large pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of the garlic. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes; then add the artichokes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let cook until slightly browned and tender on all sides.
- Once the artichokes are browned, add them to a food processor along with the walnuts, olive oil, vegetable broth and the remaining garlic. Purée until smooth.
- Then add the parsley, basil, lemon, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Purée once more until smooth.
- Add the chicken to the same pan that you sautéed the artichokes in. Cook chicken over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Once chicken is cooked through, add in about 1/4 cup of the pesto and the spinach, and mix well to coat. Cover and let cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- When the squash is done, use a spoon to remove the excess seeds and then a fork to thread the strings from the squash. Add the threads of spaghetti squash to the pan (or a large mixing bowl if you need more room). Mix spaghetti squash, pesto and chicken all together.