This delicious South Asian dish features eggplant, which is low in calories but loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
1 large eggplant
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tomato, diced
1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
1 fresh jalapeno chili pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place eggplant on a medium baking sheet. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Remove from heat, cool, peel and chop.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix in cumin seeds and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Mix in ginger garlic paste, curry powder and tomato, and cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in yogurt. Mix in eggplant and jalapeno pepper, and season with salt. Cover and cook 10 minutes over high heat.
- Remove cover, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro to serve.
- Before serving, consider chopping the eggplant into smaller pieces or using a food processor. The taste may be improved when it’s all mixed together better.